In 1814, Richard Cartwright created a townsite on his property near the Naval Shipyards, and the first building lots were sold in June of 1814. Barriefield prospered for many decades, with an important boatbuilding industry on the waterfront, and the houses owned by stone masons, carpenters and other tradespeople. In the mid-20th century, the economic life of the village declined, with the result that the 19th century village was largely preserved. In 1980, Barriefield became the first village in Ontario to be designated a Heritage Conservation District.
The Barriefield Village 200th Anniversary Celebration on June 7th will include displays and demos of heritage crafts and trades (boatbuilding, blacksmithing, carpentry, window making, spinning and weaving, etc.), historic costumes, walking tours and wagon rides through the village, bake sale, afternoon tea at St. Mark’s Church, Farm Girl food, musical performances, etc. Come and celebrate Barriefield’s 200 years!
Watch for more details here as we get closer to the date.